The Bottom Line
- Classic duets with some of the great names in Latin music
- "Perdon" duet with Alejandro Fernandez
- "Tu Voz" with Celia Cruz
- Fernandez' voice sometimes overshadows the duet
- Released as both a CD and CD/DVD set.
- Compilation of 12 tracks, all duets.
- DVD includes 5 video clips. photo gallery and commentary
- Duets with: Jose Alfredo Jimenez, Vicky Carr, Alejandro Fernandez, Angelica Maria
- And with: Javier Solis, Celia Cruz, Roberto Carlos, Aida Cuevas
- And: Felipe Arriaga, Yuri, Ana Gabriel, Vincente Fernandez, Jr.
- Release Nov. 2005 by Sony BMG
Guide Review - CD Review: Vicente Fernandez - Mis Duetos
But even with that little flaw, the CD is delightful. It's chock full of musical jewels like the classic "Perdon" with son Alejandro, "Quireme Mucho" with Aida Cuevas, "Tu Voz" with Celia Cruz (a surprise number, and Celia can definitely hold her own) and a return bout with Vicky Carr in "Juntos Los Dos".
The DVD of the 2 disc set contains 5 video clips: "Perdon", "Quiereme Mucho","Aunique Mal Paguen Ellas" with Roberto Carlos, and "Amor Del Los Dos" with Alejandro, the only cut that isn't on the stand alone CD. The "Perdon" clip is really touching with a display of father/son affection that's rarely seen anymore. The fifth video clip "Al Mayor De Los Fernandez" is a surprise because it's the first one to feature one of those more realistic cartoon animations. An homage to Vicente's father, it's performed by Fernandez and sons Alejandro and Vicente Jr.
If you like ranchera, you probably already own this album. If you're really not sure, the CD is a great way to introduce you to an old and still vibrant form of Mexican music.