Mexico rules the month of August, with 8 out of the top 10 concerts featuring Mexican artists. Having said that, there's a lot of diversity with these 8 artists/groups. They represent Mexican pop, ranchera, banda, corrido, tejano and rock music. To round out the month, there's a little bit of salsa with Gilberto Santa Rosa and some urban fusion with L.A.'s Ozomatli.
You could go to all 10 concerts and never hear the same type of music twice.
1. Marco Antonio Solis
Marco Antonio Solis is one of the most popular Mexican pop artists of the last few decades, There are five cities that will have an opportunity to see the expert showman in action.
- Aug. 3: Tucson, AZ - Tucson Arena
- Aug. 4: Phoenix, AZ - Dodge Theatre
- Aug. 11: Hidalgo, TX - Dodge Arena
- Aug. 24: Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena
- Aug. 25: Orlando, FL - Amway Arena
2. Cafe Tacuba
Cafe Tacuba's music has usually been labeled 'rock en espagnol', but that's a broad label and each year seems to find them experimenting with some new and exciting type of fusion. They haven't been performing much, so I can almost guarantee an exciting evening for Chicago Latin music fans.
- Aug. 4: Chicago, IL - Metro
3. Pepe Aguilar
If you're a ranchera fan, I bet you'll be eager to hear Pepe Aguilar as he does a run through Texas this month. Dallas gets a double whammy as Aguilar teams up with Joan Sebastian.
- Aug. 4: El Paso, TX - El Paso County Coliseum
- Aug. 10: Council Bluffs, IA - Mid America Center
- Aug. 17: Hidalgo, TX - Dodge Arena
- Aug. 24: Laredo, TX - Laredo Entertainment Center
- Aug. 26: Dallas, TX - American Airlines Center (with Joan Sebastian)
4. Jenni Rivera
Banda's Jenni Rivera has one show in August, but it's a big one at Universal City. If this date doesn't work out for you, you'll get a chance to see her in October as she teams up with brother Lupillo, then has a few dates with Pepe Aguilar and Joan Sebastian.
All the dates are in California, so a good alternative is checking out her new album, Mi Vida Loca.
- Aug. 10: Universal City, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre
5. Gilberto Santa RosaDifferent parts of the country tend to get excited about different music, so Gilberto Santa Rosa usually appears in the Miami and New York areas. This month, salsa fans in California get a rare treat as he heads west for a couple of performances.
- Aug. 9: Hollywood, FL - Hard Rock live
- Aug. 10: Orlando, Fl - Hard Rock Live Orlando
- Aug. 11: Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern
- Aug. 19: San Diego, CA - 4th and B
6. OzomatliUrban fusion fans, here's your chance to hear Ozomatli, a collective of great musicians with a unique sound. This year's album, Don't Mess With The Dragon is a favorite of mine. If you're curious about the band, you might get some insights from an interview with Ozomatli's Ulises Bella.
- Aug. 5: Santa Barbara, CA - Santa Barbara Bowl (with Slightly Stoopid & G. Love)
- Aug. 7: Saratoga, CA - Mountain Winery
- Aug. 20: Cleveland, OH - House of Blues
- Aug. 21: Pittsburg, PA - Diesel Club Lounge
- Aug. 24: Baltimore, MD - Pier Six Concert Pavilion (with G. Love & Special Sauce)
- Aug. 28: New York, NY - Rumsey Playfield, Central Park (with Slightly Stoopid)
7. Flaco Jimenez
Grammy-award winning accordionist Flaco Jimenez is a legend in the Tex-Mex conjunto world. This seems like a pretty obscure venue, but will probably be well worth the trip.
- Aug. 4: Brooks, CA - Cache Creek Casino Resort
8. Ana GabrielAna Gabriel is another perennial favorite for fans of Mexican ballads and pop music.
- Aug. 4: Universal City, CA - Gibson Amphitheatre
- Aug. 5: Pala, CA - Palomar Starlight Theater - Pala Casino
- Aug. 11: Phoenix, AZ - Dodge Theatre
- Aug. 12: Santa Barbara, CA - Santa Barbara Bowl
- Aug. 17,18: Las Vegas, NV - Las Vegas Hilton
- Aug. 19: San Jose, CA - HP Pavilion at San Jose
9. Los Tigres del Norte
Los Tigres del Norte were awarded this year's BMI Icon award in Latin music this spring. Here's a chance to see what all the fuss is about (if by any chance you don't already know).
- Aug. 4: Brampton, ON - Powerade Centre
- Aug. 18: Seattle, WA - WaMu Theater
- Aug. 23: Highland, CA - San Manuel India BIngo and Casino
- Aug. 24: Fresno, CA - Fresno Convention Center
Reik is a Mexican pop band that tends to instill a lot of passion in both its fans and detractors. Most people either love them or hate them. If you like sentimental, romantic music with lots of sweet harmonies, you'll love them. If not, then this concert might not be for you.
- Aug. 10: Chicago, IL - House of Blues
- Aug. 15: San Diego, CA - Spreckels Theatre
- Aug. 16: Hollywood, CA - The Music Box at the Fonda (with Camila)
- Aug. 17: Fresno, CA - Rainbow Ballroom (with Camila)
- Aug. 18: Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre (with Camila)
- Aug. 19: Las Vegas, NV - The Joint at Hard Rock Hotel (with Camila)